Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Who Am I?

Exodus 3:11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?

 4:1 Moses answered and said, But behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.

4:10 And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither theretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech and of a slow tongue. 


For those of you unfamiliar with the story of Moses' calling, he was a keeping a watch on his father-in-laws flock of sheep when he had a visitor. An angel appeared to him in a burning bush. Once God had his attention, He called to him and told him to take his shoes off because he was on holy ground. God then told him he had seen the affliction of his people and wanted to deliver them and send Moses so that he could deliver his people out of Egypt.
 In the verses of above Moses is explaining to the God of the Universe - who created all things- including Moses himself,  why God isn't good at making decisions. You see, Moses thinks he's just a lowly Shepard, they won't listen to him, he can't talk right, he would never think of anything to say... God tries to tell him that HE would be with him and HE would teach him what to say. Moses asks him to send someone else and God gets angry at Moses but He doesn't change his mind he sends him Aaron as a spokesperson.

Do you and Moses have a lot in common? I do... maybe we all do the same things to God a lot more than we realize. We don't like the way He made us look, the gifts He gave us, the life He gives us, the task before us.  I have to admit that I think Moses and I must be the same personality types.  If God showed up in a burning bush, if I didn't try to talk him out of it - I'd blast him with 50 questions and He'd be angry with me too. I struggle with feeling like Moses all the time.  However, this I know-- it's not about what I can do, or what I can't do, but it is about what He CAN do and that's important here. He is ready and able to help us face whatever we will need to accomplish today. It's not about who I am or who you are - it's about who HE is.
Have a great day today!
 CC

No comments: